Re: [RC] Heart Rate Monitors?? - Elkenchild

Hello! I just purchase a Polar A3 from Equineperformanceproducts.com (very helpful sellers and currently having a sale). It is the electrode model, which is supposed to be easier to use. The A3 has a watch feature and a stopwatch that times your training session and records high an low and target stuff. I tried it out today with moderate success. It seems to only work when the coat under the electrodes is very wet, which is a problem in the winter when my mare's coat is thick. So, the heart rate was only registering half the time. It did help me develop an idea of my horse's condition though!
Polar is very well made (The human model accually helped me diagnose my congenital heart defect!) and it has a horse-oriented video that is helpful.

Laura Applegate
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goal posts of life."