[RC] saddle search ends - Nancy Reed

Thank you every one who wrote with advice about my saddle trouble.  I have a 14.1 hand, short-backed, low withered, big shouldered 5 year old Arab mare.  Lyric had grown out of her Abetta endurance and I could not find a saddle that fit.  I sure learned a lot about saddles thanks to all the good people on ridecamp.

Katee at Advantage saddles spent time looking at pictures.  She explained how western trees work and the 2 basic styles.  She really knows her stuff.  Her clients really like her saddles.

I spoke at length with Heidi Helly, an endurance trainer located near me.  She was candid with me a said that due to Lyric’s conformation I really needed to go to an English style saddle.  I have resisted this in the past, but you know what they say about crisis and how it opens you to change.  So I tried a Marathon, too narrow.  A local tack and feed (Hawthorne Country Store in Escondido) had a used English trail saddle I’d eyed over several months.  So I brought it home and lo and behold it fits!  (strains of hallelujah in the background).  It has no identification on it.  It has a padded seat and is shallower than the Marathon.  My trainer thinks is an Icelandic saddle. I have to find some endurance stirrups (for my foot Lyric broke last year) and a crupper.

Because I still want a western style saddle and I’m a glutton for punishment, I plan on ordering one in about 12 to 18 months when Lyric stops growing.  This week her back grew longer and more wither appeared.  And she took the key out of the tack room door and played keep-away, again.

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom with me.  I am so grateful.

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California