[RC] Saddle FIt - Roger Rittenhouse

Hello Ridecamp,

 Well after reading the sort of 'sales pitch from one writer- the
 inventor, then the   very good engineering reply from  Dave, I sort
 of felt it was a good time  to jump in with a larger number of rats
 study.. 3
 Since the 'touchie-feelie' saddle fitting methods sure does not
 work- unless you are lucky, and the wire hanger molds were not very
 good, I felt there has/had to be a better method to fit a saddle. One that is
low
 cost and easy to use.

 I have written about saddle fit DIY and posted a write-up on my web
 site - selling nothing. There are pictures of the Equimeasure and
 the Impression Pad

 The EQUIMEASURE is the first option. This low cost easy to use tool PROVED
the saddles did not fit the
 subject horses. Other then horse also telling me it did not fit.

 The tool I chose to use to obtain a dynamic measure of fit was the
 PORT LEWIS Saddle Fit System and the IMPRESSION PAD.
 Not too costly $200. Not complex to use, no high tech no computer no
 GUESSING.
 The play-dough is either pressed out to the edges from under the pressure
 points   or its not.
 This tool also proved without a doubt where the saddle was not
 fitting.
 To fix the saddle and adjust the fit I cut open the saddle stripped it to the
tree, the subject saddles were a
 pair of SR ENDURO.. a costly saddle to cut apart.. but the ends
 justify...?

 Place the EQUIMEASURE in the tree.. note the lack of fit. Marked the
 tree where it was tight,
 Ride the saddle with the impression pad only, and note the fit. The
 flat areas in the Impression Pad matched the tight fit noted with the
 Equimeasure.

 I chose to remove some of the tree in the high pressure areas -
 tight fit and build up the tree in others to get a close fit using
 the EQUIMEASURE.
 Then go ride with the Impression Pad.
 Note the pressure points. Then repeat the modification process. With
 ride-test-mod process until I get the impression pad to show a good pattern
 of the play-dough under the saddle.
 Now I have a good fit - no flat spots caused by pressure, a good
 distribution of weight.
 Then repack the saddle tree. I used the thin SKITO saddle pad foam and
 dacron 'wool'. The final test ride under all gaits and terrain.
 The impression pad indicated I had a good fit.. but the HORSES also
 told me the saddle fit and causes no harm.  The saddle is back
 together with 'duck' tape and carpet tacks, but it FITS

 UNTIL a low cost ?? easy to find or rent on-board computer real time
 pressure sensing recording system is available from saddle makers and or vets
 there is no real way to prove the saddle really fits.
 I had tested a   saddle using a computer pad system with a long cable from
the pad to
 the computer. You ride in a circle about 25ft - both directions and
 then look at the  computer colored print out. That was very good and did
 show where the saddle did not fit that horse. I reworked the saddle
 PAD and test rode again.. the pattern showed an OK fit.. the horse
 rode the next day for a 100 miles with no problems..  That was back
 in 92  Dr Joyce Harmon had  the system.  I also saw an on-board system at
 a trade show but never had the opportunity to try it. These things
 are not perfect either. They must be setup for the test. There are
 many variables like horse size weight and rider/saddle weight. There
 may be application issues also -- like  errors in
 calibration may give varied results.  This technology is not ready
 for prime time use yet.

 For the average rider- to get a close fit and maybe the best fit,
 the two tools  I used worked well. No fancy engineering BS  just
 easy to use and observe - the saddle fits or NOT.
 I do not represent either of these companies.
 If you are having a real fit problem , then get the Impression pad.
 A few riders could get one and coop it around.
 Get the  Equimeasure. You can reheat it a few times and use it fit
 more then one horse. But the cost is low enough - I think if I had a
 mess of horses to fit I would get 2.  Sure beats plaster and wire
 forms.

 If the cost is a problem then go with the  Equimeasure.  Take it to the
 saddle dealers and at LEAST see if the STATIC fit is even close. You
 can get buy with tinkering with pads to fit a WIDE saddle to a
 narrow horse, but you will never get a tight (narrow)  saddle   to fit
 a wide horse..unless you work on the tree...

 Since I may be looking for another saddle- I plan on trying to pack
 the EQUIMEASURE and take it to the AERC Conv and do some testing.
 Depends on how much other stuff I bring.

 You can read my saddle write-up and view pictures at my web site

   www.vamxept.com
--
Roger                          mailto:roger@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: "David LeBlanc" <dleblanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>