[RC] Bit Question - Catfish Daniels

Hi,
Believe it or not, I've never ever used a bit on my horses before.  Somehow I've had great results with he good 'ole Arabian S hackamore, and my gelding carries himself quite impressively.

Now, my young mare is a different story.  Off the track a little over a year ago, she still carries that stiff neck when she's excited, and at this week's endurance ride, I realized that I'm not helping her with the hackamore.  So, I'm breaking down and inquiring about bits. (Yikes, I never thought I'd do that)

Here are the issues I'm trying to address:
When I ride my mare on my conditioning rides (usually by myself), she carries herself very nicely, neck and all, with just the hackamore.  At an endurance ride - different story.  She's a rocked straight out of the NASA program - I swear.

Anyway, any useful bits that properly "aid" a horse, and reminding them of what the "correct" response is, even if a herd of other horses go galloping by?

Catfish
(Still recovering from raw hands and numb fingers)