[RC] Saddle Fit and Measuring - Reactorpanel

Since it's a slow Sunday, I thought I'd add a saddle manufacturer's voice to the ongoing debate .  I'm thrilled to see so much thought being given to the issue of saddle fit and fitting tools.

When it comes to fitting a saddle to a horse, a good fit is a combination of art and science.  I believe it takes knowledge to assess fit in the first place.  I am increasingly excited about the tools available to verify fit.  I am strongly in favor of TWO kinds of measurement tools.

First, some sort of tool which measures the horse in a static position, to get an idea of whether or not a saddle should even be attempted on the horse.  Many tools available will give you these measurements, from the very simple (flexible curves, for instance) through Equimeasure, plaster casts, and the Saddle Tech gauge.  None of these tools tell you if a saddle is going to fit your horse.  But all of them will tell you that a saddle will NOT fit and should not even be attempted.

After you have selected a saddle which may possibly fit your horse, then art (look, feel, angles) comes in, as well as assessing balance and your horse's ability to move freely, which can only be tested during a riding trial.

Finally - if all signs (and there are many!) seem to indicate that you have a good fit, there are tools which provide measurements while you are riding and the horse is in motion.  The Port Lewis pad has been discussed here -- it is a good tool for the price; we use them in our fittings and even distribute them.  It is a gross tool, however, and does not give the whole picture.  Computer pressure analysis systems give much more sensitive data, but they are (currently) beyond the reach of most people since a fully outfitted system runs about $20,000.  Even something as rudimentary as carpenter's chalk and a white saddle pad will give you SOME information about what's happening under the saddle while you ride, and some info is better than none.

It takes experience to be able to interpret pressure results.  You see, ALL saddles put pressure on the horse; if you want to remove pressure, don't ride.  To assess damaging pressure, you need to be able to put your results in a range of what happens to horses under saddles.

I could probably write a book on this subject -- and so will stop here.  Saying only this: be as curious as possible.  Your horse will benefit!  I'm always happy to discuss saddles and fit - you don't need to be interested in our saddle to send me questions.  Feel free to email me any time, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Carmi

Carmi Weininger
The ReactorPanel Saddle Company
Berkeley, California