From: "David LeBlanc" <dleblanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Robert Ferrand'" <sadddle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "'Lisa Douglass'"
<lisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'Ride Camp'" <RideCamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 3:56 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] There must be a better way to fit a saddle !

Robert Ferrand said:

There are some who believe that a plaster cast or
thermoplastic sheet draped over the horse's back is the
solution to determining saddle fit. This creates a "mirror
image" of the shape of the "Unladen" horse's back. Then
everyone jumps to the conclusion that this shape must be the
shape of the saddle that fits the horse's back.

Not everyone, but this does give you a good starting point.

However, has
anyone ever provided any "objective evidence" that this is
true? More importantly, has someone actually measured this
concept and discovered that it is not true?

Well, we couldn't use a SaddleTech guage to measure this either. It has
exactly the same problem as the Equimeasure kit, except that the
Equimeasure
kit is actually able to pick up more information because it isn't limited
only a few points.

I happen to have a Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering with a
certificate in Bio-Engineering. It's a fundamentally obvious principle of
structural mechanics that when you put a load on something, animal or not,
it will deform and the shape will change. It's simple laws of physics.

Further, we cannot treat the horse's back as a static structure. Unless
the
horse is standing still and not breathing, the shape will change as the
horse moves, and this all depends on the animal's natural gait, which gait
it has chosen, the footing, the slope of the ground, and the loading from
the rider will be a function of not just the rider's weight, but their
ability as well. We're talking about an extremely complex dynamic system.
This also changes as both the horse and rider fatigue. To the best of my
knowledge, no one has ever done the research needed to understand more
than
the raw basics. No static measurement system is able to even roughly
approximate all of these factors. It simply cannot be done. You can't
solve
a dynamic structural problem with static measurements.

Maybe the saddle fitting problem is that
we have never had any saddle measurement instruments accurate
enough to detect this error.

Interesting that you bring up accuracy. The SaddleTech system attempts to
compensate for the rider's weight by adjusting the measurements. The
problem
here is that the magnitude of the adjustments is _less_ than the accuracy
of
the measurement. This means the adjustment system is not actually
accomplishing anything. If my measurement is +/- 5 degrees, and my
adjustment is 2 degrees, the adjustment is not significant.

I have a joke about how you can tell a mathematician from an engineer. Ask
what is 1 plus 1,000,000? The mathematician will tell you it is 1,000,001.
The engineer will reply that since we only know 1,000,000 to +/- 1000 or
so,
we still have about a million.

While some consider a piece of baling wire or plaster cast or
plastic sheet to be a form of measurement, the truth is:
measurement requires a "UNIT OF MEASURE".

Actually, this isn't completely true. We may only want to test whether one
shape is like another. We might realistically recognize the limits of our
knowledge about this extremely complex, dynamic bio-mechanical system, and
understand that the best we can do with current technology is to get a
good
starting point. If the saddle bridges without load, or pinches the withers
without load, it sure isn't going to work under load. You don't need one
day
of college or any fancy gizmos to figure this part out.

If you are trying to determine the shape of saddle that will
create even pressure on the horse's back, maybe it would be a
good idea to actually meassure that pressure under the
saddle, rather than guessing.

Putting a pressure guage under a saddle is indeed a great start. The
problem
here is that we have a dynamic load, and until you can get a very high
capture rate and telemetry on that device, the data you capture is NOT
going
to solve the problem. This is why the pressure guage predicted that one of
our saddles would work well on one of our horses, but the saddle did not
actually work well under real conditions. Great start, but the tool has
limits. The loads could be drastically different at a
trot/canter/uphill/downhill and so on. Interestingly, the Equimeasure kit
did show that the saddle wasn't a good fit for that horse. Once we could
place the mold into the saddle and explore, it was intuitively obvious
that
there was a problem, wheras spending a fair bit of money for a consultant
with a gizmo pointed us in the wrong direction. Admittedly, it was a one
rat
study, but it was my horse and my wallet.

Both the SaddleTech and Equimeasure systems have significant limitations,
but the Equimeasure has been more useful to me because it is less
expensive,
doesn't require me to schedule an appointment with someone, and it is
better
able to capture the extremely complex geometry of a horse's unloaded back.
The Equimeasure kit is also more portable - I can take it to the saddle
instead of having to take the saddle to the consultant to check fit.

The pressure guage sheet is very interesting and has a lot of potential.
Unfortunately, I don't consider it to be of much practical use in the
field.