[RC] Mercy me, a 50 miler! - Chris Paus

I teach riding to very beginners, you know, people who
have never touched a real horse. One of those students
is a horse crazy  8YO girl who never saw a live horse
until she met Zabbie.

Well, after 8 lessons, she was begging for more
challenges. So on Wed. we went to our local state park
trails. We rode about 4 miles,which isn't much for us,
but is a lot for a rookie. She was unfazed! We went up
and down some steep hills. The worst was almost knee
deep mud down a steep incline. it took a lot of
coaxing to get Ali to go down that hill, but she did
it and then Zab and S. followed.

I've done distance riding for 8 years, and when I saw
the condition of that hillside (we've had an
incredible amount of rain this year), it made me gulp.
but little S. just took it in stride. she laughed when
mud splattered on her from Ali's hooves.

We spent much of the ride batting down spider webs in
the trail and eating a lot of them. That didn't freak
her out. She told me she's a "nature girl". I guess
she is, LOL. We had to jump logs, go up and down steep
stuff, etc. Scramble over rocky terrain, etc.

She just kept asking, "can we do more..." LOL!

When we would get out of the woods and into a
clearing, I would be thankful.. no more spider webs.
Not S. She wanted to go back into the woods and do
more of the "hard stuff."

Today we rode on the "blue" trail. It's a nice trail
with moderate challenges. She kept asking about the
"red" trail, which I never take beginners on. It's
very steep in spots. Even my friends from the mountain
states think it's a tough trail. But as soon as we
finished part of the blue trail and got back to camp,l
she wanted to do the red one right away, LOL...

Next time I'll throw some steeper hills and some creek
crossing at her.

Today, she learned to ride with one hand on the reins.
She learned to position herself up and down hills. She
learned a one-rein stop when she accidentally let go
of one rein. She learned the rudiments of posting. She
learned why I've been drilling her on some of the
skills we learn in the round pen and paddock.

I told her that next time we'll pack a lunch and ride
longer.

THEN, she begged me to let her ride Ali. Now Ali is my
4YO mare who has never had anyone else on her back but
me. Little S. hopped up there. She wasn't real clear
with her "steering," but she and Ali understood each
other and did OK. I just had them walk around the
trailer area.

Mercy me! I think this kid is going to ride the legs
off ME! And Zabbie needed a nap after S. went home,
LOL

chris

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus