[RC] Completion Awards - Beth Bennett

I must say that I am with Angie on this one. I think that awards should be just that. . . awards for something special accomplished. Now, having the vehicles that we have, sometimes just arriving safely at the endurance ride is an accomplishment, but you get the idea. I have only completed 375 miles and I can tell you that the most memorable of those few miles were the ones where my name got called out (allbeit usually in the last half of the pack) and I got to proudly go up and get my award. It could have been a sticker and I would have still had the same pride in having EARNED it. At the ride that we used to have here locally (Longstreet's Charge) we had a great t-shirt that read on the back: "Ride 'em like you stole 'em." I just treasure that t-shirt, partly because my first attmept at the 50 there my mare pulled due to a lameness. Because the trail is my training trail I KNEW how hard a 50 would be there and I was honestly intimidated as heck of that ride. I was disappointed to have to pull. Two years later after having my son I went back and tried again. Not only did I complete, I got that darn t-shirt and wear it around proudly. Needless to say, when I saw one of my non-horsey friends wearing one just because they KNEW somebody affiliated with our Arabian Horse Association, it flew all over me. I told her outright that she didn't have any right to be wearing that shirt because she had not earned it. That is honestly how I feel.

It is just my opinion that the mentality of giving a ride shirt (bag, sponge, mug, etc. . .) to anyone who shows up only adds to the ever-growing mentality of some riders that the ride owes you something other than a place to come and enjoy the sport.

Beth Bennett
Chickamauga, GA
(Wishing desparately that Longstreet's Charge would be held again)

Check out the latest news, polls and tools in the MSN 2004 Election Guide! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx