RE: [RC] [RC] re: 'Talking is, IMO, unacceptable. - heidi

One message is "Help, I'm alone".  The other is "I want to break
loose and cover everything in sight."   Big difference.

Don't forget that a stallion can also be doing the first type of
vocalization since he is first and formost a horse.  Most people
who work around stallions know how to distinguish between a
"horse" noise and a "stallion" noise from the same animal.
Unfortunately for the stallion, he's not allowed to do either
kind of vocalization simply because he is a stallion.  But, both
types of noise do indicate a lack of focus in hand or under
saddle.  A lonely horse crying at the trailer is a different matter, but
if he's intact he needs to stay quiet even if under the same
circumstances everyone would forgive him if he was a mare or
gelding.

All this said, I've seen some stallions at rides that were clearly not
ready for that much stimuli.  And I've seen others that were
total gentleman (which is how I expect any stallion I'm using to
behave).  The less-mannerly guys were also ridden by riders who
simply were unaware or uncaring about the stallions' behavior, so
who's to know what those stallions would have been like with a
different person.

Great post, Nicole.

With regard to the "Help, I'm alone!" vocalization--I would submit that if
a mare or gelding persists in that sort of behavior, they likewise are not
yet ready to be in that circumstance.  I do forgive a bit of vocalization
when one's buddy leaves--but once the buddy is out of sight and hearing,
it should cease.

Heidi