RE: [RC] Spooking and punishment - JL Thompson

-----Original Message-----
From: bobmorris@xxxxxxxx

I would ask, why is the use of a round pen definitely our of
the question. If the horse is properly trained it will walk
in the round pen as well as any other place. The round pen
is not a place of indiscriminate running. It is a place of
absolute control of the horse with out being on or fastened
to it. The use of faster speeds in a round pen is
counterproductive in most training situations. Every thing I
do in the round pen is done at a walk for many, many
sessions before a slow trot is ever allowed.

--------------------------------

Hi Bob,

I'll give you my reasons for not attempting to put him loose in a round pen
right now.

1)  Sand.  Our round pen has pretty deep sand and he is not to be walked in
sand right now, due to his ligament tear.

2)  The possibility of him doing anything else but walking.  This is a horse
that has been forced to be quiet and confined for almost three months now.  He
is getting increasingly antsy (hence, the problems I'm having hand walking him
lately).  I'm supposed to put him in a round pen, take his halter off and
expect him not to explode in sheer joy at being finally free?  Maybe your horse
is trained well enough to ignore his basic instincts, but I'm not chancing it
with mine.  I'd be back at square one, or worse, if he re-injured his foot.  :)

3)  Circles.  He's not to do circles of any kind right now (torque, ya know).
Probably not even at a walk...in sand.....nope, no way.

Just as an aside, in usual circumstances, Shahtahr will walk calmly in a round
pen.  He is usually the "conserve energy" type of guy.  Gotta chase him around
to get him to run.   But right now, I think the second his halter came off,
he'd be cutting a buck and be racing around at top speed.  LOL

Thanks for your input though.  Very good points in other circumstances.

Jennifer