Re: [RC] Spooking and punishment - Ed & Wendy Hauser

While round penning, or other safe education programs would be the ideal
method of changing this behavior, if I read the original post properly, this
horse is recovering from an injury and must be hand walked every day.  Round
penning at this time is not an option.

Unless I am very mistaken, the resistance free round penning techniques do
use negative reinforcement.  The subject receives the negative reinforcement
of being forced to move in the proper direction by the use of a rope or
whip, in addition to the trainer's body language.

As far as negative reinforcement not stopping a horse from spooking in a
particular direction, that is just not so.  While I will be the first to
admit that sometimes horses spook into things that hurt them, most of the
time they do not.  I'd be willing to bet that the subject horse does not
spook into the fence, gate, electric fence, or barn when he spooks.  If he
is that out of control that the normal things around a farm cause him to
blindly spook with no regard to his safety, the cure is far beyond my
abilities and I will gracefully bow out of this discussion.

There is a difference between an appropriate negative reinforcement and
abuse or beating.  In a herd of horses, the dominant individuals teach the
young ones by the use of negative reinforcement.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875