Re: [RC] River at Fireworks - Laney

It varies a bit from year to year but last year it was belly deep which is pretty common. (I doubt it's ever higher than that.) It isn't "rushing" by any means. The bottom is nice and sandy and the rocks are easy to see. Last year the local fire department was stationed right there in case anyone needed help (they swore they wouldn't laugh if anyone got dumped!). The trail down to the crossing is a tad narrow going out and the other side is wide and sandy. The water isn't terriby cold and actually the depth keeps most horses from getting excited I think. If it's a hot day, just get off and lead him across then you'll be nice and cool for the rest of the ride!
Laney

TypeF (Jackie Floyd) wrote:

Need to send in my entry to Fireworks and I know there are people on here that can answer this question ... how deep a crossing is the river at Fireworks? I need to take the green horse to this ride and he's only done one 30 and one 50 and even though he made a lot of crossings of one stream going down the mountain on Day 2 at Cold Springs, if I remember correctly from past descriptions, the river at Fireworks is a RIVER. My other guy Tank could do it blindfolded, I'm sure but I'm taking him to EHSC the next weekend and would rather take the new guy to Firworks. James was not particularly fond of the stream but finally got used to it by the time we made it down the mountain. However, I don't think I could get him to even consider a rushing river type situation at this point in his career. If it's what I think it is, I think I'll opt to just do the 25 on him. He needs more conditioning rides anyway!
Web Administrator for:
www.JohnnyCash.com <http://www.JohnnyCash.com>
www.SergioLeone.net <http://www.SergioLeone.net>
www.PlanetShandar.com <http://www.PlanetShandar.com>