Re: [RC] Tevis and headlamps Courtesy reminder - heidi

A lot of people (myself included) don't use any lights while riding at
night, no matter how dark.  It can be very distracting to the rider, and
even more so to the horse, who can see just fine at night.   If you do
want to use a headlamp or light while on the trail, remember it is
important to ask the riders you are with if they mind you using it.  If
you are going faster than others, and have a light on as you approach
other riders, you might want to consider turning it off until you pass.
If you are being passed, and have a light going, you might turn it off
until the faster riders go on ahead.

But bring that head lamp with you!  You don't know the meaning of the
word frustrating until you try and put an easy boot on in the pitch
black of night.  Unless you have three hands, the headlamp slips right
on your helmet and leaves you both your hands to make your tack repair.
I have a new one that used tiny little LED lamps that puts out a nice
beam of light, but is very small and light.   Keep it on your body, not
in the saddlebag, because if you get separated from your horse at night,
(it happens!) it is nice to be able to see where the trail goes.

I've been meaning to chime in on this topic as well, and have been short
of time.

Nick hit the nail on the head here--as many riders have stated, DON'T use
a directed light of ANY kind for going down the trail--at most, use a glow
stick on the breast collar (or I tie one on a string and let it hang just
at the "V" of my horse's chest since I don't use a breast collar).  But as
Nick has added here, DO carry a light of some kind with you!  My husband
has all sorts of nifty little head lamps, and they do have the advantage
of leaving your hands free.  I've always carried a minimag.  But LEAVE the
durn thing in your pocket unless you have a specific need--such as reading
a map, or repairing tack, or putting on an easyboot, or whatever.  I have
occasionally turned one on while STOPPED to check an intersection for
markings.  But then it gets turned OFF again and our eyes given a chance
to aclimate once again to the dark before we set off at any speed.

Heidi