[RC] easy boots - Karen

HI, I was wondering how you get the hoof far enough forward in the easy boot if you cut out the back strap. I may need to use them on my horse and his heels are so soft from all the moisture that I'm afraid he would get sore. I tried foaming them on without a stap but the hoof looked to be too far back in the boot with a lot of empty toe. Not good!! He doesn't have a shoe on the hoof I tried it on. Maybe with a shoe on it would work better. Thanks! Happy Trails, Kathy

Hi Kathy -- It may help to pick up an opposite foot and have the horse stand in the easyboot to ensure that it is on all of the way. If you could show me a photo or two, I'd be happy to look and see if I can give you any suggestions. You may need a different size, or need to do some more trimming on the back of the boot you've got.

Foaming on easyboots without a heelstrap is an excellent way to keep a horse with soft bulbs from getting sore. Just this weekend I removed Rocky's foamed on easyboots. He had them on for two full weeks. He has always done well with the boots foamed on without a heelstrap, especially on his hind feet where he has little heel. When I took the boots off, the foam inside was soft and cushy, and his feet were nice and supple, free of any dings or anything. I like that I can ride a horse (in this case, 100+ miles in two days) and have their feet end up in better condition than before the ride. Because his feet have spread to a larger size (we had him in Ground Controls for a few months), I needed to use a size 2 easyboot on his front feet so that his heel and shoe would not stick out.

If you do end up going to a larger size boot, I find it helpful to mix up a little extra foam when you are all done and pour it into any remaining crevices or openings. You want to get a good seal so that stuff stays out.

Karen
in NV