[RC] tevis-headlamps - Ed Kilpatrick

my horse does really well on the trail in the dark when i am using a headlamp.  like someone else said, focus far enough ahead of your horse with the light and i dont think you will have a problem.  i have the type that changes from white, red, or blue light and i really like it.  it is small, straps onto my helmet quite well and i just havent had any problems with it.
as with anything, you should be careful and courteous.  i wouldnt ride through a group of people and shine my light in their horses' eyes. or the riders' eyes either, for that matter.
i have seen many experienced endurance riders do rude and unsportsmanlike things in broad daylight,  so i dont think that if i ride with a light that i should be yelled at or cussed at.
when i am camping with my horses, it is not uncommon to go out at night and check on them using a flashlight.  so, they are used to a light bobbing around and dont spook at it.
so, if your horse spooks at a flashlight, it might be a good idea to work with the horse on that.    ed