Re: [RC] spooking and spinning - Barbara McCrary

I truly believe Banner was miffed with me, as he got worse as the day went on.  We did about 22 miles, much of it was brutal climbing.  I could tell he was getting peevish with that program.  He wanted to stop periodically to rest and breathe, but my husband said, "Don't let him get away with that, he'll make a habit of it."  I really shouldn't have listened to him, but to the horse.  Consequently, on a perfectly innocuous piece of road, at a slow trot down a gentle slope, Banner saw his chance.....a big horse-eater attacked him, and the next thing I knew I was on the ground.  After that he spooked at everything that came his way, except for people on bicycles.  For some strange reason, these don't bother him.  He didn't like those funny people with strange backpacks, however.  Nor rocks, nor trees roots, nor logs, nor...........  Then my husband's horse, who was never a bad spooker, took up the game, and those two spooked for six miles of level road down through a forested canyon.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 4:48 AM
Subject: [RC] spooking and spinning

Just try to read your horse the best that you can.  Maggie is a pro at spinning and leaping sideways.  She has dumped me half a dozen times by doing this.   Most of the time she is truly scared, a couple of times she was p.o'd. at me and decided to show me so.  I don't think one can ever despin the horse.  But one can be and should be aware all the time of one's surroundings.  And if not certain, the right handed death grip on the horn or the pommel helps immensely.  Jeanie