Re: [RC] Grapes-toxic? Or chocolate? - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

VETMED has had a debate over this issue for some time and the general consensus is that some dogs, like some people, are more susceptible to the damage that is possible from grapes/raisins and chocolate...and as yet we have no way of identifying them. There are likely also the contamination issues with raisins.

That said, I had a Great Dane when I was about 12 who cleaned out the Halloween haul for four kids and was rather miserable for a day but seemed to suffer no other ill effects. At that time we knew nothing about chocolate but my parents had to keep all of us from murdering her.

I also had a small lab sized baladi dog who was already ill (diarrhea, etc) with thyroid cancer who managed to scarf down a kilo (2.2lbs) of Godiva chocolates that my husband had given me for Christmas. It was Boxing Day so not many had been eaten. When I called our vet/friend to ask if it would kill Milligan, Jan's response was to laugh hysterically and tell me that if I hadn't killed her already, she'd probably be fine. But this was a dog who was having to eat about 4 kilos of food a day just to stay alive and everything just ran right through her. She lived on for 9 more months, but we had to lock up all the food. I don't think any chocolate stayed inside long enough to do any damage.

I don't think that Jan's response was without thought as Milly was basically a furry pipe that took in substance at one end and distributed it on the garden at the other for a couple of years. Same vet once asked if I wanted some "used hamsters" to entertain a litter of RT pups that were DECIMATING my garden. I didn't take them, but it was an idea, even if the hamsters wouldn't have lasted longer than a couple of seconds.

Maryanne and the Rat Pack
Cairo