RE: [RC] [RC] falling safely - Laurie Durgin

I used to take judo as a kid. the two falls from Honey, I kicked free and spread out on my side actually kicking free from her, (think diving away) trying to spread the fall out over as much surface as possible and keeping my head up. The third, I was attempting an emergency dismount
, but my saddle is hard to get out of , and me feet didn't get free first,, till the stirup came off the bar,causing me to be on her butt for a second, I landed side/ front, only skinning my forearms a bit.and one bruise. I did have a helmet and my vest on. It must have taken the body shock, cause the ground was hard and I didn't feel it.Oh, I did get a bruise on my knee too, it just took 10days to show up....
Not tensing up, and don't put your hands out or down to land on.--Now if there were a tree or rock, I'd try to curl up with my head and back away from it...

From: Deblyons54@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   falling safely
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:50:55 EDT

"If I were describe myself with way, for me, this would be another thing
to "practice at home." :)

I am personally of the opinion that one of the most important things to
know how to do in order to avoid serious riding injuries is to know how
to fall off without getting hurt, and yes, there are ways to practice
this (and much of it can be done without a horse)."

My husband has done martial arts his entire life and insists that I can learn
to fall safely. I challenged him to fall off the bed "safely", which is a
good bit different from falling while standing or being thrown in a martial arts
or wrestling throw. He has never taken me up on it - so how do you fall off
the 5 feet from a horses back safely? I had a serious injury in a spook, spin
and bolt a few years ago. We were meandering at a walk after a wonderful relaxed
trot/canter and a bird flew up in front of him. There was no time to react
and I was flying through the air and broke my back when I hit. Now I think about
it - how could I have fallen "safely" at that velocity, from that height at
that speed?

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/