Re: [RC] [RC] Tevis - headlamps??? - Steven Proe

Hi Lucy: My thoughts on Hall's statement maybe a little slanted as Hal is
normally at the head of the ride as I have been and arrived at Francisco's
in the Daylight.

I have also ridden at the back of the ride where we left Foresthill at about
10:30 PM and the lights did really help. We even picked up a hitch hiker
from Canada near the CA. Street trails that was not able to locate the trail
leading down into the Canyon above the CA Street trail to Francisco's.

We were able to travel very fast down the canyon without the lights, when we
did use the lights though there was an immediate increase in speed from our
mounts all who were top ten horses.

We came across the walking wounded and late riders leaving Francisco's, we
were screaming along on the single track next to the river with lights, when
we came upon these riders that probably most would not finish.

Their were cries to turnout the light with all of the usually threats and
they also would not yield the trail. My ride mates suggested that I just
ride through them, I stated that we should just wait until the trails opened
up in the sandy section then we could be on our way again. This didn't go
over well with some, but we did the safe thing any way.

When the trail opened up again, were just cruised by this group and turned
on our lights again. Yes, even though we were in front of this group, they
started yelling again (go figure) needless to say we continued on to the
American River Crossing. We tanked up and cooled the horses, and walked very
slowly thru the river rock section and the raced to the (Cool #49 vet check
not the present one) at the Quarry on the river. We ran up the portions and
trotted on the down sides of the road/trails along the river.

The long and the short of this story is that you should do what works for
you, and try to accommodate any dispute, that may arise.

P/S the three of use finished the ride with 5 minutes to spare (We got our
money's worth).

At the awards ceremony the next day, the Lady from Canada informed use that
she was also pregnant, she had not told us this before. (thank goodness) So
she and the baby, got a Twofer, but only one buckle.

I like using the Lights as did our mounts and our hitchhiker had no
complains.

HTH
Steven Proe & Trooper