Re: [RC] [RC] saddle under belly - DreamWeaver

I am sorry if anybody thinks I am taking a pot shot. That wasn't my intent at all when I posted about hobble training a horse before you train it to accept the saddle underneath it's belly. What I posted in that post came from first hand experience from being in the line of fire (literally) more than once by a horse running blindly thru camp or in a vetcheck with a saddle under it's belly.

Accidents do happen, and I certainly have done more than my fair share of stupid things with my horses. I'm just darn lucky that none of them resulted in really bad wrecks or worse. I'm also lucky that I had a lot of wonderful old timer experienced horse people around me who taught me some of these things -- the same things that I posted about. If it can help even one person or horse from tragedy then it is worth the effort. I am lucky that my horses have stayed calm in various situations that kept us safe, tho not always entirely and just hope that something really bad doesn't happen someday. I am well aware that horses don't need a reason to get into a bad accident, such as a technical trail or hive of bees, and that sometimes all the training in the world isn't enough.

When I post something about my horses staying calm in certain situations, it isn't meant to imply that somebody else has inferior horses because theirs didn't. I am sure that my horses have done some of the more stupid things ever done by horses, and we just had a lucky day.

Karen
in NV