Re: [RC] Hello from Newbie-in-Training - Laney

Hi Karen,
There are lots of seasoned endurance riders on the Central Coast, some are riding the Pony Express trail in Wyoming right now. Email me and I'll give you names I know. I'm a bit north of you in Monterey county but I'm always available to answer questions. There is going to be a ride up here over Thanksgiving weekend which would be a great one to volunteer to help with. Go to the AERC webpage, then to "ride calendar," then West region and look for the date. It's still apparently in the planning stages but no ride management ever turns down volunteer help. That's a great way to start learning before your horse is ready to compete!
Cheers, Laney

Karen Green wrote:

Greetings all!

I was a hunter/jumper type for ages, took a bunch of time off and out of the saddle… then decided I’d try to get my adrenalin without the big fences. That was in large part my doctor’s advice, as he said I was definitely fit to ride but that I “wouldn’t bounce at 46 as well as I did at 20.” (Smart man.)

I put in almost a year’s search for a young athletic Arabian with a personality and temperament I thought I wanted to live with for 25 years. I finally have a charming partner: Kid, registered name CJ Khountry Dance, is a Sundance Kid son out of a Khemosabi daughter, for any who are intrigued by Arabian pedigrees.

I’ve been lurking for about a month, and must say I love your list. Great info, wonderful support, and interesting debate.

Kid just turned 5 years old, has just 4 months under saddle so we do have things to learn and polish before we even qualify as endurance newbies. But as he is my first baby, I hope I can tap into some of the experience here as we train.

I’m in Paso Robles, on CA’s central coast, and hope to connect with local riders. I’d also like to crew or otherwise volunteer. (Just tell me where to sign up!)

Hope to hear from all here, and hope you’ll take the ultra-newbie questions with a smile ;-)

Karen