RE: [RC] [RC] Safety factor of Biothane tack/yacht rope reins - Jim Holland

You can use most any saddle, but one with no horn works best.  I have an old
English saddle my guys have seen so much they know the drill when I bring it
out! :) Got it at a yard sale.

Take the stirrups off, but leave the leathers on, the better to get more
"flap".  Cinch it upside down and then sideways while leading them around to
graze, especially when they REALLY want some fresh grass.  Horses are kinda
"one track" and if you have "sacked them out" with other stuff, it should be
a "Ho Hum". Then I just move on to leading at a trot, then to a round pen if
you have one.  From there, I loosen the cinch and practice sliding the
saddle to the rear....standing still, of course...over their butt and legs
and let it "fall" on the ground.   (Be careful with Geldings and Stallions!)
:)  Ultimately I expect them to stand still when that happens, but it may
take a while.  In addition, I also throw any old thing up there I can think
of.  Two big bags of crushed aluminum cans tied together is interesting at a
trot... (Magic HATES that, but he deals with it)  Be inventive.

My goal is for the horse to ignore anything that happens on his back with
tack...and me...and if in doubt, just stand there until I fix it.  It
doesn't happen overnight, but its good insurance and can prevent serious
injury to you or your horse when a wreck happens.

Rule number one for me in training:

WHEN YOU FIND SOMETHING YOUR HORSE DOESN'T LIKE OR DOESN'T DO WELL, PRACTICE
IT UNTIL HE DOES.

For example, if he's nervous around raincoats, "Mr. Raincoat" will visit
EVERRRRY night at feeding time!

Some time back, Joan was taking Magic and Sunny out to the pasture.  She
said "I want Magic on my right because he leads better there". Wrong
approach. She SHOULD have said "I want Magic on my left because he DOESN'T
lead well there.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic