Re: [RC] Tailgating on the trail - Karla Watson

Poker rides and local organized trail rides are good for that too. Many horses, mostly at a walk, crowds of people/horses and enough chaos to be good training. They are worth the effort. -----Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 6:40 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Tailgating on the trail

> ACK! NO WAY JOSE! I can't imagine letting my young
> mare, whom I've worked with and trained from day 1, be
> on a dude string with all those incompentents yanking
> on her mouth, whacking her sides, sitting off
> balance... and undoing all the work I've put into her!
>
> No way. I can't think of a worse thing to do to a
> young horse.

No, no, no, Chris--that is not what Bonnie suggested!  :-)  She said to
use him as a guide horse for rental strings--that means YOU ride him as
you guide the dude string.  I'm with you 100%--I wouldn't let dudes ride
my younguns either.  But having to be ridden WITH a dude string is a great
way to teach a youngun some group etiquette, never mind that it also
teaches control and the need to go YOUR pace, even if that pace is slow.

JMHO, but endurance horses have their "lower gears" greatly neglected for
the most part, and that is one of the big reasons why they get out of
control at starts, etc.

I'm not in a position to guide dude strings (and likely neither are many
other members of RC) but I agree with Bonnie that it is a GREAT training
opportunity!  We do the same thing, pretty much, by going on BCH trail
rides (out all day, entirely at a walk).  My dad used to do this with our
young horses by pulling a pack string with them during hunting season.
Lots of situations you can find to do this sort of thing, if you look
around.

Heidi