Re: [RC] Safety factor of Biothane tack/yacht rope reins - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Karen Casemier wrote:

Made me start thinking - how safe is the biothane halter/bridle combo I use, and the yacht rope reins that I love?

Ah, one of my pet subjects, tack safety. :) I believe that the biothane reins and the yacht rope reins are great products and I use them both, but they are very dangerous because of the unbreakability factor, especially if you use long reins as most of us do, so I have modified mine for safety reasons.

For the biothane reins, I cut them in half at the midpoint (where the buckle is on English leather reins), seal the ends with heat, fold over about 2", poke holes, and secure them with chicago screws. This gives me two loops that I connect with a plastic ring (from a sewing goods store) that will break under stress. When the ring breaks, unscrew the chicago screws and put in a new ring. Easy and safe. That ring is also a great place to hook on a rommel, and gives you the midpoint for riding on the buckle.

For the yacht rope reins, I tied tightly 2 very skinny pieces of string half an inch apart at the center point (again the "buckle"), cut the reins between the two pieces of string (the strings keep the ends from instantly fraying into disaster, which they will do), sealed the ends with heat (it takes a lot to get a good seal on yacht rope, so I use a butane lighter and do it in several stages until I get a good, deep seal). Then I folded the ends over about 2" and stitched them into a loop with heavy quilting thread and a large needle (needs to be a yarn needle, as even a quilting needle will break off inside that heavy rope). I thread a half length of a leather shoelace (available at most any drug store or grocery store) through the two loops twice, tie it and soak the knot in water so it will dry tight. This makes a nice breakable point and also gives you the "buckle" to ride balanced on a loose rein.

I always "break" my reins in the center rather than next to the bridle, as I think it would be too easy for a tree branch or something to cause a break there accidentally when riding, or the horse could do it when scratching his face, whereas when I'm riding him, I ride on the buckle so I'm holding the breakpoint in my hand, lessening the chances that something will accidentally break the reins while I'm trotting or cantering along and don't need (or want!) the break.

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819