[RC] Tevis trail description... - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Char char.antuzzi@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have ridden the Tevis trail a lot and find it to be one the
most beautiful trails you will see between your horses ears.
There is just nothing that I've ever seen that is like it.

There are "sets" of canyons. Each set of canyons is steep.
I forget the altitude you climb out and go down but
it is incredible. The trail for the most part is a single
track trail, not a lot of room for a jiggy horse, one that
perhaps trips, one that gets stung by a wasp, a frightned
horse, etc. There is just no room to recover, period.

The horse falls and with that fall comes momentum, legs are
scrambling and because the narrowness of the trail, you just
can not recover. Now on some of these sections of narrow trail
there is very little vegitation... Trees can only grow on
hills, this is a cliff.

This is another factor when a horse
goes over, there is nothing to catch the horse, or because of
the momentium of the horse and the weight of the horse, the few
trees and or bushes that are there are broken and only slows
the fall.

You have leg weary horses entering these canyons,
possibly tired riders that may or may not be riding centered
and that just adds to the mixture. There is no way to re-route
this trail, nor should it be. In my mind, this trail is risky
but so is crossing the street during rush hour traffic.

This is a really rough section of trail, but look at the
thousands of horses and riders that have made it with out any
problems what so ever. This is why Tevis is Tevis, it wouldn't
be the same with out the canyons, the drop offs, the crazy
crews it takes to get through Tevis, the dust coming out of
Robie at the start of the ride, freezing your rear end climbing
squaw, then having heat stroke in the afternoon when you do
finally hit those canyons. Have I finished it, nope. But maybe
this year, who knows. I won my entry at the convention and look
so forward to riding in the night and hanging on the sides of
those cliffs with the moon coming down on us.