Re: [RC] Tailgating on the trail - Becky Rohwer

 > JMHO, but endurance horses have their "lower gears" greatly neglected
for
 > the most part, and that is one of the big reasons why they get out of
 > control at starts, etc.

 Boy Howdy!  I took my mare on a BCH ride a few weeks back.  She jigged for
3 hours.  So ingrained is the trot, trot, trot, that when I asked her to
walk with a group of horses she just couldn't get it into her head that this
was just a walk along ride.  She was collected up tight as a coiled spring
and just waiting for me to give her the go sign.  I was very embarrased as I
could just hear all the quarter horse people snickering about the
craaazzzzyyy aaarrrraaaab.

 I am getting ready to take a 5 day pack trip into the Bob Marshall
wilderness with my craaazzzzyyy aaarrrraaaab this coming weekend.  She will
be trailering up with other horses, so am hoping she will bond to her
trailer mates and will be more willing to walk along.  Otherwise I told the
pack leader that I would be at camp about 3 1/2 hours before them.  :-)

 On the funny side, this is an educational trip.  Some experienced packers
taking greenhorns, me being one of them, into the wilderness to teach
packing and light on the land techniques.  Smoke, the guide, said he would
try to find peoples strenghts and build on them.  He saw me posting the trot
at the afore mentioned ride.  During our organizing meeting for the pack
trip he pointed to me and told the group "she knows how to post the trot".
"That's a good thing to know if you need to go after horses that have
wandered away from camp and you need to catch up to them."  So I was told I
might be giving a demo on trotting.  Guess us endurance riders and
craaazzzzyyy aaarrrraaaabs are good for something.

 Becky R. - Montana