Re: [Fwd: [RC] West Nile Virus Vaccine Allergic Reactions] - Chris Paus

I have a herd of 8-10 horses every year who has gotten
the vaccinations for 3 years now here in Kansas. To
date, knock on wood, I've had absolutely no problems.
Not even a raised welt at the injection site. no runny
noses, no symptoms of any kind. I've vaccinated
geldings, foals, a stallion and pregnant mares. To
date, everyone has been just fine.

I guess in my case, I'm going to continue to vaccinate
because we've had a lot of horse deaths to WNV in our
area, some even in my neighborhood. I use the Ft.
Dodge innovator vaccine. It's basically a sleeping
sickness vaccine, like eastern, western and
venezualan. If your horses don't react to that, it's
not likely they'll react to the WNV vaccine.

chris

--- Bette Lamore <woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Diane
Here is another recent post from ridecamp that talks
about the same
allergic reaction. I am with you--- wondering
whether I risk the
reaction or not. In the meantime, I do not allow any
standing water at
my place--- I turn on the faucets on the waterers
that don't have
automatic waterers on them every day. So far I
haven't seen even one
mosquito (but LOTS of flies :-) which are annoying
but not dangerous. I
weigh the pros and cons every day because I am not
talking about
vaccinating a few horses-- but rather 25 so the risk
of reactions is
statistically greater! and there is no way I am
going to pick out "my
most valuable" as someone suggested-- that to me is
analogous to
"Sophie's Choice!"
Bette
PS I am not looking for flames here, but helpful
suggestions/info