Re: [RC] Blessing? - heidi

If the "blessing" had been say, a Wiccan blessing, would it have also
been welcomed? I bet not. Bright Blessings.

I would have welcomed it every bit as much (that would be pretty neat,
actually).  As I would had it been a Muslim cleric giving an Islam
blessing, or a Bhuddist or Hindu or Shinto.  The particulars don't
matter, it is just a nice ceremonial calling on a "higher power" to
bless the event.

There is no attempt here to prosyletize.  Anyone who doesn't believe in
that "higher power," or any "higher power," is unaffected, they can just
meditate on their own thoughts or whatever pleases them during that
minute or two, and not try to deny the rest of us the experience.

Freedom -- especially religious freedom -- is a two-way street.  If you
wish to not have others force their beliefs on you, then you should not
force your beliefs on them, nor deny them free expression of their
beliefs.

Live and let live.

<sigh>  Another anonymous post.

But yes, what Joe said.  I've sat through various sorts of invocations, if
you will, ranging from Muslim to Jewish to Hindu to various forms of
nature worship, in addition to a great many different Christian flavors.
I don't think I've heard a formal Shinto blessing (although I nearly
married an early boyfriend whose parents were married in a Shinto
ceremony, because that was his mother's belief system), or a Wiccan
blessing, but if they stuck to the basics of an invocation--recognizing a
higher power, gratitude for the venue, the horses, etc., and wishing the
participants well, I would not be in the least offended that it came from
a different belief system.  And as Joe stated, if you don't believe in a
higher power, focus on the other positive philosophies presented in an
invocation.

I find the statements of different faiths to be educational, quite
frankly, and I cherish the opportunity to learn how people who believe
differently than I do express their spirituality.

Part of freedom is tolerating the fact that others also have the same
freedoms that you cherish--and freedom of religion is one of the very
basic tenets of this country.  That means that in return for the freedom
to believe (or disbelieve, if that be the case) in the manner that you
deem acceptable, you also tolerate the belief systems of others.  And that
tolerance includes tolerating a degree of expression of those belief
systems.

We embrace many of our other differences as being wholesome, and recognize
that much of our strength lies in our diversity.  What is "offensive"
about recognizing and appreciating that diversity in the matter of
religious expression as well?  Religious tolerance is rather like racial
tolerance.  You wouldn't dream of telling someone of another color that he
can't display his skin in public, because someone might be offended by it.
So why is it such an offensive thing to tolerate an expression of faith?
Again, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head to participate in an
invocation--only asking for courtesy and respect.

This spring, I took part in a Seder meal at Passover.  I am not Jewish.
But it was a moving and eye-opening experience, and was also a bit of
education about a segment of Middle Eastern history.  If anything, it
deepened my own belief system; it certainly did not make me feel that
those who invited me were "cramming" anything down my throat.  I was
honored to be asked to take part, and I hope I did so in a manner that
showed respect for traditions strange to me.

I find myself more "turned off" (or offended, if you will) by people who
express negative messages cloaked in what I consider to be "my" faith than
by those who express positive messages such as invocations in faiths that
are foreign to me.  It is too bad that we are too often busy being upset
that this is a "religious" issue that we miss the things that we have in
common, and we fail to appreciate the different ways of expressing those
things that other people may have to share.

Heidi