[RC] [RC] first time rides (long) - Ridecamp Guest - oddfarm

I took today off from running or riding so this is my last post for a while.

Patti, I am going to jump in here with Louise. If this was your daughter's first ride, why should she think that she should walk away with treasures? Who told her that? If your 17 year old daughter cried because she wasn't "acknowledged", how is she going to make it through life?

First of all, I tell my kids, nobody owes you anything. You have to earn it, and even then sometimes you don't get what you deserve. (raises, promotions, bonuses, an A instead of a B) That's life.

One of the things I love about this sport, is that for the most part, I am surrounded by strong and independent women as well as kind and compassionate gentlemen. They have common sense, a sense of humor and are as passionate about horses and the outdoors as I am. That is also why I have always tried to bring my kids to these rides as much as possible. They have seen what kind of people they DON'T want to be like, and have met lots of people they look up to and respect. Even those Florida Floosies!

My daughter has also ridden since she was 11 or so. Sometimes she got prizes, sometimes she didn't. Sometimes she just babysat me and a new horse, and a few times rode without me so she could cruz. She sat around camp at night with the rest of us, sometimes griping, mostly laughing and always having a good time. Even when she didn't get anything.

Ride Management does everything they can to make a ride just that. A good time. A good time for some is real competition. Others want to meet and ride with friends to catch up. Others want to start a new horse or work on some things like the start of a ride or the mountains. If during all that, you win something, yeah! If not, so what.

If it was your daughters first ride and she had a great time and her horse finished fit to continue, what more could anyone want?? I do hope you helped your daughter understand there is so much more to this sport than a mug. We have to show our young people what sportsmanship is all about. It isn't always easy, but doing the right thing rarely is.

Come on, Patti. Don't expect anyone to make you happy at a ride. And remember that cup with no date? The more you print, the more it costs. If you want RM to shower riders with fabulous gifts, expect to pay for it in your entry fee. Listen, I have been to a ride where the completion awards were used buckets and worse. And the entry fee was outrageous and quite a few didn't even get their dinners that they paid for.

Your experience doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Since I have put on rides, I try to keep my mouth shut if something wasn't right at a ride. I certainly wouldn't say anything on this site. I now know how much time, effort and money, (lots and lots) goes into putting on a ride. Trust me, by the end of the weekend, RM knows what was right, and what went wrong, even without the "constructive criticism" they have access to via AERC.  How about next time you volunteer to donate the Jr. prizes?? Or donate funds to print on the cups??? Do you realize how ecstatic a RM would be if you did?

I also find that if I have just one more glass of wine at the end of the night, I love my horse more, I love everybody more and the ride was actually perfect! It's amazing.

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm
Let's not let the heat get to us now. Keep riding and training, fall is just around the corner!! I'm counting down to Leatherwood!!!