[RC] It's Human Error not the trail, Acceptable horse deaths? - Steven Proe

Hi Marcia/all: It is my opinion that the trails are not to blame, including
the "Tevis/Western States/Run trail.

There is no way to protect our partners from injury other than GOOD
training, Riders that have horse sense, and Horses that are experienced in
trails riding and Endurance on Single track trails.

I personally have used these trails worked on these trails and know at least
one of the people that was involved in this "Accident".

I have spoken to a person that knows where the accident occurred, it was not
a very narrow trail, It was described to me as being "Wide" in the area that
"Accident" occurred.

I use the word "Accident" as I do not believe that anyone that is involved
in a Ride/Race, Event, Endurance Sport ever deliberately has it in their
heads that they planned to injure another Rider or Horse including their own
or any other person or critter.

Yet it does occur, I think that some of the people that enter into the
"Wood's" are ill prepared for their entree into some of these places and
events.

Many people can not gain this experience other than doing the event, other
than by participating in "Fun" rides over extremely safe and wide open
trails. This is called "Homework".

Yet this is no guarantee that "Accident's" will not occur to Rider's and
Horse's and other participants.

I have recently in my neck of the woods(Cool CA) heard of "Freak Accidents"
that have injured and killed riders. One was a tree falling on a rider and
the other was a horse unexpectly bucking the rider off, causing GREAT bodily
injury and yet standing by and allowing the rider to mount and he horse
carried her to safety and most 'likely" aided in her survival. I state that
"likely" because the lady had the equipment and presence of mind to realize
what had occurred and was prepared to help in the surviving of this
"Accident". The lady states that she believes that she was fearful that she
would bleed to her death if see could not ride out to help.

All things in life are a risk, to blame a inanimate piece of dirt as the
culprit.

THE TRAIL DID NOT DO ANYTHING! People can always make a choice.

My Thoughts.

Steven Proe: Tevis trail rider, repairer, and lover.