[RC] Hoosier Daddy Part 2 of 5 - April

The next morning I was awake at 5 AM. A bit irritated that I couldn't sleep
later, I pulled on a jacket and went to take Tanna for a walk. Everything
looked foggy and hazy as I tried to see without my contacts. Daniel was still
sleeping and I didn't want to wake him by banging around to get my contacts and
I had left my glasses at home. I let Tanna graze for a long time and watched
the camp wake up and begin preparations for ride day.

I then returned to my camp and settled Tanna in with some beet pulp and I
settled into a chair with my laptop and my cell phone to attempt to get my
email. Daniel stayed asleep and the horses started passing up and down the road
to warm up. I still did not have my contacts on and I try hard not to squint so
I was largely oblivious to who was actually passing our camp. If you passed me
and expected me to greet you, I probably couldn't SEE you! :-) Tanna nickered
once at some horse, so he must have recognized somebody.

After awhile, the camp grew quieter and I knew the 50 milers had left on their
first loop. I packed up my laptop and headed for the showers. Ah, how nice to
have a hot shower on a cool morning! I knew I would look forward to a shower
after my ride the next day.

After having a leisurely breakfast with Daniel, we headed to Teddy's trailer to
play with the Bosana boots. Tanna was pretty good except he kept wanting to bow
for Teddy when she picked up his foot! I had been playing around with him
earlier and I guess he thought he was still being asked to bow. I laughed at
him and told him to cut it out. Teddy measured his front feet and we chose a
boot size based on the chart in the boot brochure. Tanna was right on the edge
of the sizes, so we went with the larger size. Teddy easily slipped the boots
on. A success for her first time putting the boots on! :-)

Tanna stumbled the first couple of steps and then had no more trouble with
them. Teddy suggested I head out on the trail to try them out. Daniel and I
walked and trotted Tanna up and down the gravel road for a little bit and then
I went to get ready for a ride.

When I mounted, Tanna gave his bucking signs and I was rather scared of him,
not wanting to repeat the previous week's injuries. I dismounted and adjusted
the bridle and checked for anything unusual. I saw nothing, so remounted. Tanna
still acted idiotic, so Daniel led him around until I felt comfortable enough
and we took off. Once we got started Tanna stopped his threats and continued on
happily.

Tanna and I headed out the way the 50s would come in for the finish. I was
planning a 9 hour ride time (excluding holds) for Sunday and knew that after
that long, Tanna and I would welcome recognizing where we were and that we were
close to "home." We walked, trotted and cantered our way along the trail having
fun. I periodically checked to be sure I still had the Bosana boots and went
out about 2 miles. When I turned around, I noticed that one of the boots had
come off. So I walked back the way we'd come looking. I finally found the thing
in the middle of a muddy bog. Ugh. I dismounted and retrieved the boot. I
scraped off some of the worst of the mud and clipped it with a caribinger to
the back of my saddle. Then we continued back down the trail. After just a few
minutes, the OTHER boot came off. Grr. So I backtracked until I found it lying
at the edge of a muddy bog. I repeated the process of scraping mud and clipping
the boot to my saddle. Unfortunately, I didn't do a great job of clipping the
boot and it jumped up and smacked me at every trot stride, leaving my tights
muddy.

I managed to ignore the boots and continued on. When we got out on the gravel
road where the finish line was, I leaned over Tanna's neck and sent him flying
towards the finish line. Unfortunately, during the time I'd been on trail, the
finish timers had arrived to be sure and catch the first 50 milers coming in
from their ride. Tanna and I were unprepared for the sight of them, so we
spooked hard to the left. Fortunately, there was a clearing and a trail to the
left, so I was able to get Tanna back under control before we hit any trees. I
circled back to the timers as they were calling out for my number. I smiled and
told them I was just practicing for tomorrow and apologized for making them
think I'd come in first. Then I sent Tanna back down the trail and came back at
the finish line at a fast pace and kept my leg on him to keep him on the trail.
Mission accomplished, I headed back to camp with the muddy boots.

I unsaddled Tanna and put him in his corral to eat, drink and be merry. And I
settled down with a bucket of water and a scrub brush to clean up the Bosana
boots. They were going back to Teddy immediately. I figured we should have
chosen the smaller size. It took quite awhile to get the sticky, clinging mud
from the boots. I managed to get most of it off and then Daniel and I headed to
Teddy's trailer to return the boots. She urged us to bring Tanna back and we'd
try a different size boot.

So we brought Tanna back and this time we chose a size 00 boot rather than a
size 1. Teddy sprayed silicone spray on the boots to make them go on easier and
these boots looked like they would fit much better. We discovered that the side
to side measurement on these boots, at least for Tanna, was much less important
than the toe to heel measurement.

I expressed my reluctance to try the boots on the actual ride. I wasn't
concerned very much about rubbing, I didn't see much of how they could rub
(although, there is always a way!), but I was more worried about having to keep
track of boots when I wasn't sure they would stay on. So I took the boots with
me and I will try them out over the next few weeks to see how they handle. I
won't be riding Tanna for about 2 weeks, but he will be getting some round pen
and back-to-the-basics ground manners refresher courses and I will likely put
the boots on for those sessions to see how he handles them. If, IF I like the
way the boots fit, I might try using them for a loop or two at Summer Breeze.
We shall see. (www.bosanaboot.com for those interested in looking at them.)

I turned Tanna back into his pen, leaving the boots on his feet. Daniel and I
figured it couldn't hurt to leave them on him in the pen. If he managed to
remove them just wandering around, I definitely wouldn't want to ride in them
anyway!

We ate lunch and then I laid down to take a nap. After waking up, I went out to
check on when I could register for the ride. 4 PM. I had a little bit of time
so I fiddled with tack and killed time before going to check in. I got my ride
card in short order and returned to get Tanna for his vet in. I had to remove
the Bosana boots and after a few minutes of contemplation and consulting the
boot brochure, the boots were off with little effort. Hmm. Hope they stay on
during riding! :-)

Tanna and I headed to the vet in. Daniel was napping, so I was on my own for a
bit. Tanna was not happy about the caution tape that was strung to mark the vet
area. I guess he can read and was worried there was something to be cautious
about. I teased him and chatted with the lady in line behind me. When it was my
turn, I chatted with Dr. Mike and trotted my horse out. He vetted in with all
As and I led him back to the trailer.

I double-checked my tack and did some work on my saddle. Then I got Tanna some
food and braided his mane while he ate and grazed. Finally, Daniel woke up and
we ate quickly and went to the awards/dinner/ride meeting. We didn't eat with
the others because this ride had the meal as an extra cost (which I like as we
don't often eat the ride meals being vegetarian and it means I'm not paying for
food I don't eat).

With so many riders, the awards took a very long time. I don't remember the
exact numbers, but the completion rate was high. Over 90%. It was almost dark
before we made our way back to our trailer. Daniel and I took Tanna out for
another grazing walk before going to bed. I set my alarm to 1 AM and went to
sleep.

To Be Continued...
April
Nashville, TN