Re: [RC] fiddleneck / tarweed - Advantage Saddles

Dear Mary;

From what I have read, tarweed and fiddleneck are the same weed.

No, they aren't.  I live in the central Sierra foothills and they are different.  Fiddleneck shows up in the spring, has little sharp hairs on the leaves and the stems of the plant, and is characterized by a yellow-gold  "fiddle neck" shaped flower stalk.  They are gone by this time of year, dried up.
Now, Tarweed is different...it is out now.  It is sticky, and smells like chamomile to me.  This stuff hangs around all summer, and in pasture, will coat your horse with a lovely "tar" on the legs and face because it leaves its sap which collects dirt.
Just FYI...
Katee