Re: [RC] fiddleneck / tarweed - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I looked up an MSDS for Weedmaster.   (Chloridazon).  The toxicity data looks like a second application would be OK from that standpoint.  You might check with the label on the product to see if it is listed for your other problem.  It may be that the other weed responds better to a different chemical.  Your county agent should be able to help you with identification of the weed and when it is best to spray.

It is common to get say 90% control of a weed, so go after the remainder next year.

It is also common to find that seeds from an established weed population continue to sprout for a number of years.  You can't kill them until they sprout.  Spotted knapweed is notorious for this.  My ag agent says some seeds will sprout for up to 5 years.

I was walking my hay field last week and found some baby Lupine where the worst infestation was last year.  I will have to spray them again next spring, or things will be bad in another couple of years.

Lupines are also a good example of the difficulty of defining a weed.  Lupine is native to our area, so it does not fit the definition as an imported pest.  It is pretty, and gardeners like it, so you can't eliminate it on the basis that it is ugly and unpleasing to the eye.  It does spread and successfully compete with a desirable plant (grass) which can make it a weed by some standards.  The real reason that it has to be eliminated is that it can poison cows and horses!

My high school biology teacher defined a weed as a plant in the wrong place.  Corn in a soybean field is a weed.  Lupine in a hay field is a weed.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875