[RC] Mariposa Run For the Gold - Scott Johnson

What a great ride!!.  It's in the beautiful Sierra Nevadas, in the
historic town of Mariposa.  Base camp is around 4600 feet in elevation
and the ride is listed as "can be difficult", in part due to the many
hills and also because it's usually warm.  It was pretty close to 90 on
ride day.  Not too bad- it's been hotter some years.

Team Slow Poke rode the 25 mile ride.  The trail takes you through
private property as well as forestry land.  We rode on jeep roads and
single track (love that single track!).  The views of those mountains
were just breathtaking!   We crossed a creek a couple times.  The first
time, as we were descending toward the creek, the change in temperature
was quick and drastic- it was like someone turned on the air
conditioning- so refreshing.  As we were offering water to our horses
and sponging, we noticed the ladybugs all over, just like Bill Parker,
assistant ride manager said.  There were also many beautiful flowers
down around the creek area.

Our vet check was in a nice meadow- right behind someone's house.  It
was spacious and shaded, with plenty of water for horses and people and
hay for the horses.

Friday night there was a "bring your own meat" BBQ and for a mere $5,
the sides were provided.  Saturday morning donuts and coffee were
offered before the ride.  Saturday night dinner was a fajita dinner
cooked by the Mariposa Mountain Riders, who sponsor this event.  Their
volunteers are the best!  There were also some very nice Explorers
helping out in various places- such polite and friendly young men!  In
fact, everybody we encountered was friendly and helpful.

As per usual, Team Slow Poke finished last-we just can't seem to leave
those creeks in any hurry, and the scenery was so beautiful, we didn't
want to miss a thing.  Completion awards were either a very nice belt
buckle, or a set of wine glasses with the ride name and picture on
them.

Team Slow Poke would like to say a big thank you to Rich and Mary
Darlene Theodore, Bill Parker and his wonderful wife (I think her name
is Sandy), The Mariposa Mountain Riders, all the volunteers, and the
owners of the Circle 9 ranch.  They own the land where base camp is
held and part of the trails we rode.

Thanks for a great weekend!

Team Slow Poke
Dede, Kathy. Tamra, and Ali