Re: [RC] HELP: New pain on the sides of knee - Margaret Dinan

Not sure what part of the country you live in, but Lyme's Disease effects different people different ways.  My knees were junk when I had Lyme's, before it was diagnosed.  I had two MRI's before I was sent to a rheumatologist who figured it out right away.  I have been fine ever since I took the antibiotics.

Margaret

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] HELP: New pain on the sides of knee

Then Chris said:

>Go to a doctor. You might have bursitis.
>It can be relieved a great deal with a cortisone injection.

Before you go to the extreme of cortisone injections,
try the roll-on DMSO.  It can take the inflammation and
pain right out without having the expense, damage, and
direct pain of the cortisone injection (I had an acquaintance
with lupus who would once in a while get joint injections
of cortisone because of her joint pain.  The injections alone
were awfully painful for her).

I had the same problem as you at one ride last year... Tall
Pines.  I had pain on the outside of my right leg radiating
down from my knee.  I suspect it was caused by a difference
in my riding because I was so ill at that ride on the second
loop. (I haven't changed anything since this was a one time
deal with the knee pain and the pain hasn't come back.  )

However, the next day as we headed out since I was having
such pain in the outside of my right knee / leg, my hubby rolled
DMSO on it at our first rest stop.  The pain was gone within
an hour and it didn't come back.  I suspect the inflammation
causing the pain was taken down by the DMSO.

Try it.. the stuff is damn good.  Works on bruises too.  But I
gotta warn you, if you have a good bruise... like a kick... it
stings a bit.  Ice after the application of DMSO will be helpful
for both the bruise and the stinging.  The stinging usually only
lasts a few minutes though.   The DMSO will take the bruising
out within a few days...  much shorter time than letting it
dissipate on it's own.  HTH,

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM