[RC] Ride Management - smuncy

         Maybe the past couple days 'thread' of conversation about ride management, will have an effect on what has become it seems; the norm........ riders are quick to complain,and pick apart a ride; but few will offer positive feedback, thank yous  or constructuve criticism. (  ie.-  Ideas how could be better, or offers to "help".)  In general, let one  rider have 'an unhappy' experience and you can bet 'the whole world', or whoever, is in earshot will hear about it; but the ones who have 'a good time, or just a decent ride', you seldom hear a thing from them, in feedback forms, personally, or publically. And, yes, some complaints are justified.
        I have been involved in rides in most every aspect from P/R, go-fer, trail marking, maintainance,  to management, and rider. And know just how much work goes into all the planning. And also, know that even the best laid plans can 'fall apart' at sometimes the last minute - Muphy's Law. And have seen more than one ride manager - refuse to ever manage a ride again, because of all the "armchair quarterbacking", and complaints.Have also, seen a couple of good rides never happen again, due to managers deciding that wasn't worth the headaches, of trying to please everyone. What a shame, for all concerned. Ride managers do not go out of there way to make riders,/ crews lives miserable. We try to arrrange for all standard amenities -safe,  well marked trails, adequate and competent help, accessable water, safe parking.( and prayers for good weather.) Plans sometimes, just seem to fall apart; and we as management try to adjust situation(s) as can, to keep the ride running as smoothly as possible.
   Liked the suggestion that anyone who complains, well... too much complaining, have to manage / work  a ride.Would certainly serve as a rude awakening to at least some.
   Have to say I enjoyed 'post' about the Cave Bears, and Riders Oath.( still lol ) Maybe more Ride Managers should consider adding similiar info to ride packets, just changing some of the names, and 'particuliars'.
   Am reminds me  of what M Mackay-Smith said  - that  endurance by defintion - is to perservere.- continue in spite of difficulty.

    Just for fun.......
   Requirements to be Ride Manager       ( applicants please eml me )
   More time, than money or sense
   Access to trails/ base camp/ vet checks that are already laid out, maintained,  free use, easy access, with great footing and
   water easily available.
   Unlimited supply of friends and energy  -  your friends soon get as 'burnt out"as you do/will; and have to survive on mininmal /
    or  no sleep
    Desirable to have ability to control weather.
   Guts, determination, and ability to  solve everyones problems, and accomadate wishes, requests, and whimsey ( at last minute )
   Either  a great sense of humor or hasn't a clue and doesn't care attitude
    A HIDE LIKE ARMOR  OR TEFLON      and a really short memory.....so  they will do it again the next year.
      Haven't managed one for years, and probably won't. Stephanie