[RC] Cooley Ranch Ride! WOW! - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Went to the Cooley Ranch ride this weekend and
all I can say is it was *gorgeous*!. This ride
has got to be one of the most beautiful I have
ever been on.

Many thanks to Ruth, Ron and their crew for
putting the ride on - if I have a horse to
ride next year, we will be back.

The scenery was spectacular. Prior to the ride, I
was a little worried that it might be dull after
someone told me it was all on fire roads - they
didn't mention that a good portion of those fire
roads were vertical up or down - and you had to pay
attention to the footing instead of gawping at the
views. Some of the downhills were so steep it was
really hard to walk down them leading the horse.

The first loop spent a lot of time in a river rock
creek bed (which was so pretty we managed to miss a
turn onto the creek and took a ~2 mile scenic detour -
this was despite very good and creative trail markings
all day). It was relatively cool in the morning, from
high marine fog.

The fog burnt off around 9am in time to reveal the
amazing views on Loop 2 in the high country - up along
a spectacular ridge and then down into the main creek
again and back to the same check.

Loop 3 moseyed along a pretty little stream coming
down through the hills - filled with little fishes
and baby newts. Then up onto another ridge top, down
into another creek, up another hard climb to a point
where you could look down on the camp, before doing
the final 1.5 miles into the finish (that cheesed
the horses off - seeing their buddies down in camp,
but having to leave again <grin>).

The whole ride was through golden hillsides dotted
with huge old oak, madrone, and laurel trees.

I was lucky enough to be asked to ride someone's
horse for them (to get her ready for Tevis) when
she couldn't make the ride, so it was nice to ride
a comfortable horse for once ;-) ... my knees thank
me profusely.

I took a bunch of photos which I'll hopefully get up
on a web site later in the week.

Thanks again to the Cooley Ranch crew!

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden. ~ Maryanne Stroud Gabani