From: "Dot Wiggins" <dotwgns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 10:00 PM
Subject: [RC] Breed destruction

I've been biting my tongue to stay out of this thread but can't stand it
any
longer.
So many are bashing the Arab show breeders for trashing the useful Arabs,
and then turn around and fail to see the same thing in QHs, and other
breeds.
The ranch QH that can go all day, as many days as needed,  is becoming a
thing of the past.  The QH that can walk  fast,  and actually, really,
trot,
is hard to find.
They have been bred for low head carriage (it's easier to breed "'head
down"
than train it) till they have no self carriage, always on the front end.
Even the fairly good ones are often unsound in front by the time they are
6.
The QH show breeders have been working longer to trash a fine breed than
the
Arab folks, and they've about got it done.
QHs used be one of the most useful, versatile breeds in the country, hard
find one now.
I like and enjoy the Arabs I know and ride, but I also have a tremendous
respect and affection for the good QHs I have had.

One last word, having worked with quite few of both, I think QHs are more
forgiving of rider./handler errors.
In other words, perhaps more suited for beginning riders.    Many Arabs
don't suffer fools gladly,  many QHs will put up with a lot of s**t and
still do a good job.

FWIW

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse.
~  Libby Llop

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers