[RC] promoting any breed - oddfarm

Poppycock, Heidi. Magness was doing no more than what other top race breeders commonly do (in the t-breds as well). Just because a horse isn't in the "top 20" (which Seabiscuit never was nor Phar Lap, BTW) doesn't mean they are lacking quality or that the farm's breeding program wasn't a success. Making some of the top money in the race industry probably denoted success to the Magnesses. They just had to make choices as to which offspring to put LOTS of money into-- race training is costly.

Bette, I think you missed the point. Heidi is merely suggesting that breeders breed smarter. Of course not all of the horses will go on to be great race horses, but they will need a home none the less. And if they are not quality, sane and sound horses, they won't stand a chance. And why does a breeder have to breed 200 horses to get that "ONE" ? Where is the logic in the breeding program? And how is that any cheaper than just picking a few to train?

When we went to get one of our greyhounds we went to a greyhound farm. There were at least 100 dogs if not more. They had 4 females in the "nursery", 2 with puppies and 2 ready to birth. I asked the owner what the heck they did with ALL OF THESE DOGS? She said there had to be a winner in there somewhere. Well now, if you only get one winner out of 100 or more dogs, I'm thinking you need to rethink your breeding program.

And just because a breeder is doing what all the other breeders are doing, doesn't mean they are doing it right. Right?

Now that is not to say that we didn't get a wonderful dog. But if he wasn't good enough to race, why did they have to have 99 more that were just the same?

It doesn't do any breed any good when we are not getting a quality horse. If you breed for the show ring, reining, jumping or endurance riding, you still have to make sure that if by chance you get a horse that won't cut it, it can still be marketable as a sound, sane and affordable family and or trail horse. It may still be a cull from a particular breeding program, but that shouldn't mean that the horse is not suitable for anything. Good conformation, good bone size, sturdy feet and trainability are a must, no matter what.

I believe that was the point Heidi was trying to make. And by saying that the best way to promote our breed, or any breed for that matter is to breed the best we can was right on target. The rest will speak for itself.

The bedouins didn't have a registry to promote their herds. And yet, once the world was introduced to the desert breed, they all wanted some of that blood in their programs, if not pure breeds.

It won't hurt either to have a registry boost promotions, but let's make sure the PR work also encourages breeders to breed smart. Yes, you want to target potential new owners, but the people in the business of selling should also make wise decisions about what they are putting out to the public. Then, quite possibly, we can put a stop to all those "crazy Arab" stories.

Good Luck, Bette. I hate politics.   ;)

Lisa Salas, Teh Odd farm