Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - JANUSTUDIO

I usually have a booth at the Scottsdale show in February, so get to see lots
of folks there to show and just to see the happening... One year there was a
booth that was showing the tape of Tevis, and it only showed the crossing of
Cougar Rock. There was always a crowd oohing and ahing at that booth.  It was
addictive to watch.
The booths that featured the stallions (which can be beautiful) and the
winning, high stepping, snorting, fire breathing antics with all the hooping
and
hollering in the sound track, hardly got a glance. Well, except for the owners,
trainers and hangers on wanting to be associated with the 'big guys'.
Not everyone there wants to do the Tevis, but there was plenty of brochures
and booklets relating to distance riding, and they were handing them out fast.

Looks to me to be a good idea for AHA to sponsor a booth that depicts
everything for which the Arabian breed can excel.  People love to rest their
feet and
watch a video at the shows. Be sure the videos are professionally done, it's
what the public expects. I've met lots of people just looking at the breed to
see if it is what they want their family to get into. Here is where the QH and
Paints are way ahead of the Arabian associations. They promote what their
breed can mean for the average rider. They promote the 'look', that so many
want.
They promote the sane dispositions, the western image that we have seen since
childhood. They capitalize on this and the average person doesn't have to
show to get it.
I think AHA is looking to do this too and I've seen some effort in this
direction. But, we have to admit that the show ring is where the money is,
thus,
that is the engine that drives the train.
I think most people are drawn to the Arabian breed first by his beauty, his
fantciful background, and uniqueness as a horse. Then they want to know what
they can do with owning such an animal. The first thing that person sees is the
show ring. A slick magazine, etc. Most of these people end up owning a
beautiful horse that stands in the pasture as a living work of art...gag...Or
if
wealthy enough, his work of art is sent to a 'trainer' who then stands the
'living
work of art' at the end of a line, a quivering mass of nerves.
I remember when the star of 'The Black Stallion' was hauled to a lot of shows
just for promotion. It was great to see so many people, young and old
reaching to touch that black nose. In my view, this is what touches so many
people
when they actually see and touch an animal that so easily 'touches' back. This
is where hearts are won for the Arabian. Where did that kind of promotion go?
When at the shows (Scottsdale & US Nationals) and I see kids warming up their
mounts to go into the ring. I rarely see a smile. Trainers are watching every
inch of their body to point out an infraction, both horse and rider are as
tense as they can get without exploding. This is serious business. When I am at
an endurance or CTR ride, What are the kids doing there? They are having a
blast..! And so are Mom and Dad!
This is where the video camera needs to be. What could be more enduring to a
potential Arabian owner than the sight of a kid smiling from ear to ear while
trotting down the trail, sponging his horse, watching the vet check his horse,
watching his horse drink, eat, then crawling back up his horse's back to fly
out onto the trail again for more of the same. The cheers at the end when the
kid and his horse complete the coarse and gives him that victory hug, just
because...they are friends.

Actually, showing can be a very learning experience and teaches discipline
and the art of being humble...So, I don't 'hate' showing, I just hate what it
can become when it is the end all of our horse's existence and of our children.

Jan ~ who obviously has grandchildren <g>

In a message dated 6/18/04 9:00:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,