RE: [RC] [RC] OD - water troughs at Fitchett's Field - Jim Holland

Because he was stressed….and Cindy KNEW he would drink out of the trough.  You go with the known parameter under stress.  Cindy, had that happened to me, I would have been big time “in your face” and he WOULD have got that drink….what they gonna do? Pull you?  When it comes to my horse’s welfare, especially if he is dehydrated, HE comes first!  Had it not been for Joan at Liberty Hall, there would have been an “incident” that would not have been soon forgotten!  I was still mad as hell when I crossed the finish 4 miles later!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Flora Hillman
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 8:23 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] OD - water troughs at Fitchett's Field

I'm confused.  Fitchett's Field is bounded on one side by a very wide, clear running, easy-to-enter creek with lots of shady trees.  Many riders (in the past) -- including me -- have waded into to provide fresh drinking water for their horses as well as a super bathing site (for both human and horse).

Unless the creek banks were horrendously undercut by rains of last year and there was no entry into the creek this year,  I don't see why you didn't just walk your horse into the creek and let him drink?

I was the rider who was loudly scolded for letting my horse drink out of the water trough (into which water from the creek was being pumped).  It was at Fitchett's.

Interestingly, he had already sucked up water from that trough two other times within the preceding hour.  My gelding had been pulled from the ride due to poor hydration, and for some reason he wouldn't drink out of a bucket.  So I took him back over to the trough again.  He never got that third drink.

Cindy