[RC] Tailing.. - Steve Shaw

I believe that one of the best ways to get a horse used to tailing is: wait till the near the end of a training ride with a friend. That way the horse is not fresh and this helps a lot. Also, put the other horse in front to act as a standard, your horse will stay with him and not try to take off.
It doesn't take a lot of time at all for them to catch on. This really makes a big difference on tough rides and if you weigh a lot, it can make a BIG difference. I once figured out that if I tailed 10 miles of a 50 miler (or got off and ran or hiked) it was equal to a 110 lb. person riding him!

I think home work is the key to having a healthy partner. ~ Steven Proe