[RC] [RC] peeing - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Take her into tall grass if it is available.  My mare usually
won't pee on trail either.  If desperate enough she will.  Hasn't
hurt her although I worry alot, I tend to think it is a mare
thing.  Learn to read the signs when she wants to pee too,
although that can be a challenge in itself.  Jeanie

A lot of horses, and mares in particular, don't like pee splashing
thier legs.  Can't really blame them.

My mare that I've been competing with for the last couple years
off and on is an expert pee-er.  She pees early and often.  She
teaches others to pee.  She figured out that if she told me she
had to pee I'd let her stop and rest or sightsee (con-artist),
although she doesn't do that during an endurance ride where she's
all business (she saves all her tricks for conditioning rides).

She also will at least sip out of every single water since her
second LD ride where she figured out if she skipped water it might
be a *long* time to the next one.  And while she's a picky picky
eater at home, she's a hoover at rides.  She loves weeds.  She
also loves sponge water (hey, it's free electrolytes).

I love smart horses like her.  She does the goofiest things to
entertain herself during training, but during an endurance ride
she's all about getting down the trail and taking care of herself.
Not that you could tell from our ride record, where we like to
turtle (that would reflect on the overly cautious rider's input,
not the horse's ability).

~Nicole

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle