Re: [RC] [RC] Man vs. Horse speeds & Shermans Gap at the OD - heidi

Heidi said ..."But I've found over the years that unless it is durn near
vertical, 4-leg drive beats heck out of 2-leg drive any day!"

And Mary is right -- on the OD's steep rocky slopes you can move MUCH
faster leading your horse,

Only if you are more athletic than the horse.  I'm with Barb--one reason I
ride is because I have NO business out there on foot.

You may think OD is "different"--but I can put you on some nasty rocky
trails that are near vertical up here on the Divide, too, and I'll tell
you flat out that I will only lead up or down them if I am on a horse that
has no business being there in the first place.  If you are athletic
enough to lead, more power to you.  My horses are far better athletes than
I am.

and lower greatly the risk of loosing
horseshoes. I'm a pretty good "downhiller" myself, and  leading my horse
in hand on the most difficult sections of the OD I've easily passed (at
a relaxed jog with my pony jogging behind me) other riders still sitting
in the saddle as their horses struggle to pick their way through the
rocks.

If my horse can jog it beside me, he can jog it with me on him.  And odds
are, I can't jog it on foot.

The OD  is like no other ride -- you can't "book" down the slopes of the
Massanuttens no matter how athletic and talented your horse,

I'm not talking about "booking"--I'm talking about a collected jog for
negotiating downhills.  And I've also found that unless the horse is
naturally talented going downhill, he is actually less of a klutz with me
ON him helping him to negotiate it than if I get off.  I'm far more
concerned about a green horse getting hurt in such scenarios if I'm not
aboard to help, quite frankly.

Again, just my nickel's worth--having grown up working cattle on mountains
with names such as "Cow Face"--named for being steeper than a cow's
face...

Heidi

Every horse can be taught to walk faster than you think.  It is one of the
most important qualities of a good riding horse.  Some have it naturally,
others need to learn. On the other hand, if you are riding a tired horse,
an easy jog is more efficient, covers more groumnd with less effort.  (it's
the rebound effect of the two beat trot)
~  Dot Wiggins