From: oddfarm
Sent: Jun 16, 2004 8:17 AM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] shock wave for suspensory

Amy, my boy Rowdy has some sort of "mysterious" problems with his hind fetlocks. He has new bumps and lumps everyday, is dead lame on flexion tests, (both back feet) and is sore to palpate. Also, after laying down, (which he is doing more and more of) he has a difficult time getting up and putting weight on hind feet.

Vet ultrasounded and found holes in his tendons or ligaments. Not sure which as I get them confused. So we did shock wave therapy, and re-checked. Some of the holes on one foot closed but we found new ones. Also lots of scar tissue. So, the thinking is this has been on ongoing problem. Vet said Paso's can get a rare disease that is similar to our issues but he has not heard of an Arabian having this disease. Of course, here at the Odd fArm, it is very likely.

Does any of this sound familiar? I am ready to take Rowdy to our University in Gainesville for a second opinion. Vet said the cause was hard running. This horse hasn't hardly trotted, much less run in the past 5 years or so. Even before that, his riding was limited to trail riding with a few LD rides. He is only 13. This has just come about in the last year or so. Vet suggested stall rest, but the fetlocks get so swollen over night, even with bute that he can barely come out of the stall.

Anybody have an ideas? Heidi? I don't care if he is ever sound to ride as he is worth his weight in gold when it comes to working with kids. I just want to get rid of the pain.

Lisa Salas, Teh Odd faRm

============================================================ I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks. ~ Libby Llop ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/ ============================================================