[RC] Thoroughbred Feet - CatThom2

Barbara McCrary wrote:

<Matthew Mackay-Smith used to say the TB was capable of being a good
endurance horse, as he had both types of muscle fiber, but "the
Thoroughbred's cross to bear is his feet."  Meaning, he tended to have poor
hoof quality.  I heard him say this, probably in a convention speech, at
least 20 years ago.  I've always remembered that _expression_ "cross to bear">

That seems to be the general consensus BUT my friend, Paula (the one with the quote likening the horse's hoof to the foundation of a house) has a TB with over 1,000 miles.  The first time I met her to ride his shoes that were less than a week old were duck taped on.  Now his feet are great and he has even done a few rides barefoot.  She has a good feed program and a great farrier so management does make a significant difference.

Cathy