  From: Esther
  To: Laurie Underwood
  Cc: Ridecamp
  Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 7:35 AM
  Subject: RE: [RC] spider web face

  One of the friends I used to night ride with was
  whopping 6'8" or 9", built like a brick wall and
on a
  16hh quarterhorse.  I made sure I rode right
behind
  him.  Never a fear of spiders with him in the
lead!

  Esther and Chagalle

  --- Laurie Underwood
<laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:
  > One night at the barn it started storming
hard.
The
  > horses were all in
  > their stalls in anticipation of the storm.  I
was
  > standing by the stall
  > of a gelding named Sonny.  The lights went out
and
  > about that time,
  > Sonny chose to nuzzle me.  Well.  Those long
muzzle
  > whiskers tickled my
  > neck, I screamed and jumped clear across the
aisle
  > in one stride!  Do I
  > hate insect critters?  YES!
  >
  > And you are right about the tallest rider.
One
of
  > my riding companions
  > is a diminutive 4'8" (and she doesn't use a
mounting
  > block!).  When
  > she's riding the "tall" horse, 14.3, we
sometimes
  > stand a chance of her
  > getting the bugs before us.  But when she's
riding
  > the "short" horse,
  > 14.2, no way.  That inch means something out
there!

  > Laurie

Behalf
  > Of Terri Parrot
  > Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 7:56 AM
  > To: Laurie Underwood
  > Cc: Ridecamp
  > Subject: RE: [RC] spider web face
  >
  > When in doubt, ride behind the biggest rider
on
the
  > biggest horse.  Especially at night.  Double
  > especially when there is no moon.  I have to
say, it
  > is eerie to hear the slaps and screams coming
from
  > the
  > person in front and thank them profusely
because
  > it's
  > not me!
  >
  > Esther and Chagalle
  > --- Laurie Underwood
<laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  > wrote:
  > > Apparently there are advantages to riding
the

ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  > > Subject: RE: [RC] spider web face
  > >
  > > I usually like to ride second.  That way,
the
  > front
  > > rider gets hit and
  > > removes the web leaving me to go through
without a
  > > problem.
build
  > > their webs about head
  > > hight to a rider on a horse and there is one
about
  > > every 100 feet. The
  > > good news is they are pretty harmless, I've
had
  > them
  > > dangling off my
  > > helmet in my face, on my back on my
shoulder,
on
  > my
  > > horse and none the
  > > worst for the wear. You got through on
Tuesday
and
  > > take them out and by
  > > the time you go back on on Wednesday they
are
up
  > > again.
  > >
  > > Most spiders aren't a big deal. My favorite
trick
  > is
  > > when I am riding
  > > with someone is to be quiet and duck at the
last
  > > minute so the person
  > > behind has no time to react. I hear they
taste
  > > pretty good ;-).
  > >
  > > Truman
  > >
  > > rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
  > >

  > > Ewwww...in South Texas we have these brown
striped
  > > humongo spiders
  > >

  > > Just a bit of advice...spider season is
*not*
  > good
  > > time to ride a
  > > horse
  > > that requires 2 hands to control, and
attempt
  > > pony another, at speed,
  > > down spider infested trails. Just a little
thing I
  > > learned last year in
  > > one of my "Duh" moments. I counted 42 webs
that
  > > plastered over my face
  > > in

=== message truncated ===