[RC] [RC] Breeding "No-Names"/CMKs for WSTR - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
magazine. I am sick of the repetitive ads, and watching
particular stallions breed thousands of offspring because their
owners are rich and can afford the big color ads that cost a
mint.

I actually did cancel my subscriptions to both the glossies.  The
magazines that I used to spend hours pouring over have become
only a source of anger and frustration.  It's much better for my
mental state to avoid them and almost pretend that part of the
Arabian scene doesn't exist.

If you look at the performing horses, and study their lines for
a while, some of the unknowns become very familiar.

Good way of putting it.  I look at an "unknown" pedigree and get
excited, as I see the names that *I* do know and I get a mental
picture of the horse. I look at a "big name" pedigree and get
turned off.

For instance...one of the horses on the Tevis winner list was
bred by an elderly woman who lives in the middle of nowhere in
Oregon. I contacted her by mailing her a letter, because  she
makes no ads, she has no computer.

And unless there are others that fit that exact description, that
is the breeder I bought my stallion from.  She's retiring
and he was the last horse she'd held onto other than a few
geldings for the family to ride (at least one is sired by him).
A huge attraction of my stallion for me was his direct relation
to a (recent) Tevis winner, his owner & breeders' history with
breeding horses that have done well in endurance, and his own
handful of foals out in endurance.  Sure, his sire *does* have
a show history (including a National Top Ten), but he's still a
"no name" to the show-ring croud since he wasn't a halter horse.
I have no plans to get rich with this stallion.  I bought him
as a compliment for MY mares for my own little program.  And with
the hopes of getting him out on the trail himself -- he came to
me as a green-as-grass 15 year old breeding-stallion-only, but
he and I are having a lot of fun, and he's a JOY to ride
(and oh, so comfortable; a horse designed to be ridden all day
long).

~Nicole

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~  Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance