[RC] Butt bar/chain - Andrea Day

Amy:
YES YES YES YES
You need to rig a way to use the bars, or replace them with a chain, if that's easier. In some older cheaper trailers, you can compromise the structural integrity by not having the center panel in. This can be ameliorated by using the bar/chain. Even in well-constructed trailers, you don't want the horses leaning on the doors because, over time, 1000 pounds will spring your hinges and latches to where the doors are harder to close. I've even seen center bars that have a "butt dent." (There's six or seven people here who've seen me haul a straight two horse for a couple years with the panel swung over to make a slant. They have big quarter horses, or problem riders, and they like it. But it has to be done right--with a bar/chain barrier and panel secured.

More reasons why you need a bar/chain barrier. SAFETY in unloading the horse. If you have a horse that leans on the door, or have one that tends to shoot out, a barrier is one extra safeguard. Some people undo the barrier first, some last, and I've heard cogent reasons for both ways. I undo mine after I open the door. All my kids are good about not leaning on the chain and standing in the trailer until their tails are tugged, and I've been able to go move the horse over, duck under the chain and into the trailer and give'em a bucket of water, hang a hay bag, or adjust a blanket on the berm of the road without unloading the horse. I keep a 50 gallon water barrel in the front of the trailer--SECURELY anchored--and I can go in and fill the buckets with the horse in the trailer.

And that brings us to the panel you swung over. ANCHOR that sucker securely! Don't just bungie or use tied baling twine. Drill a hole, put in an eye bolt, and CHAIN THAT PUPPY DOWN. I was following a friend down a bumpy dirt road when the panel she tied with twine came loose and started banging on her horse. Talk about a near wreck!

Hey, it's your trailer; you're allowed to customize all you want. I have drilled holes and added extra heavy-duty eyebolts 5 foot up to tie the horses on a long lead so they can eat and drink and not get a long rope around the back of the trailer or get hung up on anything and put rings up for the water buckets. I've put in more hangers in the tack compartment, hung a shelf, put in clips to hang a hay bag, and put in anchors for the water barrel on the trailer I'm using now. Oh, and moved the chain forward just a bit.

If it's placed right, the barrier can keep the horse from rubbing the tail into fuzzys, and, more importantly, can help keep the point of the hocks from being banged up.

Have fun. Be safe
Andrea

Getting married? Find great tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue. Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether. The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it. ~ Heidi Smith