Re: [RC] To breed a "no name" horse-PS - Bette Lamore

I want to emphasize here that my reply was in response to MARKETING a stallion Anyone has the right to breed to any stallion they choose for whatever reason (yes even emotional). We do not have crystal balls and one can never know the outcome and hey, this is still a free country-- so long as one is willing to take the responsibility for that offspring or suffer the "karma" ;-)

Hi Kristine Unless his offspring have show or race records, you might want to think twice about it. Promoting a stallion is VERY expensive and without something that makes the stallion special (e.g. Halynov was an honest 16.2hh and threw size) or a show or race record or his offspring's' records, you will not be able to compete with the big boys. However, local people hearing about him and seeing his babies on the ground might breed if the price is right. When I started with Hal, he had no show record and I literally gave away breeding to locals and people who wanted to show or compete the offspring to start the ball rolling plus bought quality mares (from the Van Camp estate sale--- most imported from Russian and Poland) to start things off. Mrs. William Randolph Hearst (local, in San Simeon by the Hearst Castle) saw Hal's conformation and size and action through a video I had given to her farm manager and bred her 4 jumper champion mares to him for quite a discount. The resulting foals were seen by others with money who bred athletes and that boosted my breedings. Size wouldn't have been enough unless I had had beau coup money and strings-- I did not. He had perfect conformation and was very typey and had extreme hock action and extension. It was when Donna Snyder-Smith got a video of him through a local person that his endurance sire potential got going. Then when she saw his offspring, she recommended to Valerie Kanavy that she buy horses from me. Val bought 2 and Becky Hart wound up getting 2 (one hers and 1 in for training) and that further increased his breedings. In short, the key is a great stallion with good conformation and action who throws that in his offspring and videos getting in the hands of people who breed. Later when Hal did get a record in the jumping arena, I got more and more breedings. When I first got Hal I was placing ads in the Arabian Horse World and other publications that ran me $1200/month --- couldn't keep that up for long and wasn't effective anyway without a show record or record of offspring--- after all, the proof of the sire is in his get. Word of mouth from satisfied clients is the best advertisement as I am sure the other breeders on ridecamp would agree. Now that Hal is deceased and even though Riverdance is the spitting image of his sire, Dancer is not mature enough yet for me to show in jumping and that is the only performance classes I consider as they are NOT political and I can have a chance at a fair competition--- and he is a long way from reaching his size so I prefer not to show him Sporthorse until he is closer to maturity. I only get a breedings now based on his father's record and the fact that Dancer's siblings have done so well and Dancer's action if they ask for his video. One breeder wanted him to be Sweepstakes nominated so I have shelled out $3500 for that. I believe you are getting my point here-- a lot of money and time and effort-- and why would anyone want to do that? Because we believe in him and the incredible offspring he puts on the ground (2 already) as we did his daddy. There are not enough truly athletic Arabians out there with good conformation--- no matter if they are Russian, Polish, CMK, Egyptian--- whatever. It is a trust if you are blessed with an outstanding Arabian and believe in the Arabian breed--- a passion--- not an income! And by the way, using a stallion as a tax write-off is very hard to do unless you have shown you are seriously marketing--- whether or not you show a great profit (and this is from excellent accountants). The crucial point is that you are SERIOUS about it and have made sales and breedings. Not to be entered into lightly. :-) Good luck to you whatever way you choose to go Bette and Bunny Of Course this is ONLY MY opinion based on my experience (that should stop flamers in their tracks, I hope)

Kristene Smuts wrote:

Far too many horses of all ages being bred today are being bred because they have a "famous name" in the pedigree--one where the fame has been bought by a well-padded training, showing, and advertising budget, not by any particular merit. Unfortunately, that sort of fame is not genetic, and is not passed on to foals...Heidi>>

Change of subject, if I may ......... Let's say you have a good stallion, conformationally, temperament etc., although he has cosmetic imperfections and therefore he doesn't go to shows or doesn't have a "big name" pedigree. However, he breeds good foals from various mares. How would you market him as a breeding prospect? (He has to pay back all that hay he eats, ya know ;-)) ) Just a "slightly" hypothetical question ;-))

Kristene
South Africa

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse. ~ Libby Llop

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

And remember, an arab's fourth gait is the spook! ~ Jeanie Miller